Conan the Cimmerian from Robert E. Howard’s pulp fiction classics of the 1930s has seen his share of reinvention over the years. Whether in new stories, comic books, television, or movies, Conan has always been a force to be reckoned with.
After Arnold Schwarzenegger’s portrayal of Conan in Conan the Barbarian (1982) and Conan the Destroyer (1984), it was tough for me to imagine anybody else in the role. Even bodybuilder Ralf Möller in TV’s Conan: The Adventurer paled in comparison in the late ’90s.
Now Jason Momoa (TV’s Stargate: Atlantis) comes to the role in the new big screen feature reinventing the classic. The film also brings in big names like Stephen Lang (Avatar), Ron Perlman (Hellboy), and Rose McGowan (Grindhouse). Will this incarnation of Conan stand up to the scrutiny it’s bound to get?
I’ve seen numerous stills of Momoa in the role, and was interested to see how he’d do. Now that I’ve heard him talk in this teaser, I have a sinking feeling about the film. Will I still go see it in August? Heck yes. But I’ll have lowered my expectations significantly.
Plus, what’s with all the smoke. It’s a cool way to give half-glimpses of stuff, but gets old by the time the teaser (about a minute long) is even half over… I suspect we’ll see more trailers during the summer movie season, but who knows?
“I live. I love. I slay…I am content.” – Conan The Barbarian
The most legendary Barbarian of all time is back this Summer. Having thrived and evolved for eight consecutive decades in the public imagination- in prose and graphics, on the big screen and small, in games and properties of all kinds- Conan’s exploits in the Hyborian Age now come alive like never before in a colossal 3D action-adventure film.
A quest that begins as a personal vendetta for the fierce Cimmerian warrior soon turns into an epic battle against hulking rivals, horrific monsters, and impossible odds, as Conan realizes he is the only hope of saving the great nations of Hyboria from an encroaching reign of supernatural evil.
Deftly adapted from the original works of Robert E. Howard and faithful to the mythology and psychology of his iconic character, CONAN THE BARBARIAN stars Jason Momoa, Rachel Nichols, Stephen Lang, Ron Perlman and Rose McGowan, and is directed by Marcus Nispel.
Q: What do you think? Will you see it? Are you excited?
For more news about the film, be sure to check it out on its Facebook page here. Conan the Barbarian releases in theaters everywhere August 19th, 2011!
- Smokey New Teaser Trailer for Conan the Barbarian (screencrave.com)
- Watch: First Teaser Trailer for Lionsgate’s ‘Conan the Barbarian’ 3D (firstshowing.net)
- Teaser Trailer for CONAN THE BARBARIAN (geektyrant.com)
- New Motion Poster for Conan the Barbarian (screencrave.com)
- First Epic Motion Poster for Jason Momoa’s ‘Conan the Barbarian’ (firstshowing.net)
- Check Out This Cool ‘Conan The Barbarian’ Motion Poster (geeksofdoom.com)
- Teaser Trailer For Marcus Nispel’s ‘Conan The Barbarian’ Remake Is Here (geeksofdoom.com)
- CONAN THE BARBARIAN Motion Movie Poster (geektyrant.com)
- First ‘Conan the Barbarian’ Trailer Is A True Tease (screenrant.com)
- Conan the Barbarian Teaser Trailer Released Online (reelmovienews.com)