Immortals definitely falls into the category of “movies I haven’t heard about until recently.” Apparently, after the box office success of Clash of the Titans last year (making nearly $500 million worldwide according to Box Office Mojo), it’s time for a new set of sandal clad heroes to hit the big screen.
This time, it’s Theseus (Henry Cavill, Superman in the the upcoming Superman: The Man of Steel from director Zack Snyder) avenging the death of his mother at the hands of King Hyperion (Mickey Rourke, Iron Man 2, The Expendables). Hyperion is on a mad quest to overthrow the Gods and Theseus is the only hope to stop him. (The film also stars Freida Pinto as the Oracle priestess Phaedra and Stephen Dorff as a slave somehow intrinsic to the story.)
All I’ve seen are these posters (here at Fandango) and a few stills, so I’m not quite sure what to think yet.
Question: What do you think? Is this enough to interest you?
Visionary director Tarsem Singh (The Cell, The Fall) and producers Gianni Nunnari (300), Mark Canton (300) and Ryan Kavanaugh (The Fighter) unleash an epic tale of treachery, vengeance and destiny in Immortals, a stylish and spectacular 3-D adventure. As a power-mad king razes ancient Greece in search of a legendary weapon, a heroic young villager rises up against him in a thrilling quest as timeless as it is powerful.
The brutal and bloodthirsty King Hyperion (Mickey Rourke) and his murderous Heraklion army are rampaging across Greece in search of the long lost Bow of Epirus. With the invincible Bow, the king will be able to overthrow the Gods of Olympus and become the undisputed master of his world. With ruthless efficiency, Hyperion and his legions destroy everything in their wake, and it seems nothing will stop the evil king’s mission.
As village after village is obliterated, a stonemason named Theseus (Henry Cavill) vows to avenge the death of his mother in one of Hyperion’s raids. When Theseus meets the Sybelline Oracle, Phaedra (Freida Pinto), her disturbing visions of the young man’s future convince her that he is the key to stopping the destruction. With her help, Theseus assembles a small band of followers and embraces his destiny in a final desperate battle for the future of humanity.
- Character posters for Tarsem Singh’s IMMORTALS arrive (geektyrant.com)
- The Immortals Get Character Posters (screencrave.com)
- WonderCon 2011: All Eyes On Future Superman Henry Cavill At ‘Immortals’ Panel (geeksofdoom.com)
- Tarsem’s ‘Immortals’ Unleashed at WonderCon with a Badass Trailer (firstshowing.net)
- “First posters for Henry Cavill’s Immortals land online” and related posts (totalfilm.com)
- WonderCon 2011: New Immortals Character Posters Unveiled (dreadcentral.com)
- Check These Out: Five Badass New Posters for Tarsem’s ‘Immortals’ (firstshowing.net)
- Five New ‘Immortals’ Posters (slashfilm.com)
- 5 New Posters Show Off The Greek Gods Of Tarsem Singh’s ‘Immortals’ (geeksofdoom.com)
- Photos From Tarsem Singh’s Immortals (screencrave.com)