That’s right! News out of DisneyToon Studios has it that Planes will draw inspiration from the hugely popular Cars series of movies, games, and merchandise. Instead of cars acting like people, we’ll have a new and original group of daredevils from around the world!
Here’s what we know:
“We had such a great time exploring the world of Cars over the course of two films, so it seemed only natural for us to see where our imaginations would take us in a film where planes were the main characters. By expanding the Cars world, Planes gave us a whole new set of fun-filled situations and a great opportunity to introduce some fantastic new characters,” commented John Lasseter, Chief Creative Officer, Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios.
“The team at DisneyToon Studios has done such an amazing job creating a heartfelt story filled with great comedy, adventure, and emotion. I know audiences are going to love taking off into the wild blue yonder with these daredevil characters, as they experience a whole new kind of animated adventure.”
PLANES takes off with an international cast of the fastest air racers around, in a comedy packed with action and adventure starring Dusty, a small town dreamer who longs to enter the most epic around-the-world air race … despite his fear of heights. With the help and support of a fleet of new and hilarious characters, Dusty wings his way into the biggest challenge of his life.
Fasten your seatbelt as more information on PLANES will be arriving shortly!
It’s interesting that this is happening without Pixar in the loop… But I’m sure we’ll be hearing much more on Planes over the next year or so as images and maybe even a teaser gets released.
Question: What do you think? Can Planes do for Disney what Cars did?
- ‘Planes,’ the Direct to DVD ‘Cars’ Spin-Off, Officially Announced by DisneyToon Studios (slashfilm.com)
- Disney Moves Forward with the Development of Cars Spin-off movie PLANES (geektyrant.com)
- Disney Announces Animated Feature Planes Set for 2013 (screencrave.com)
- Pixar Won’t Be Involved In Pixar Spin-Off (filmschoolrejects.com)
- “‘Cars’ spin-off ‘Planes’ confirmed; 2nd ‘Toy Story’ short coming with ‘Muppets'” and related posts (pixarblog.blogspot.com)
- Cars Spin-Off, ‘Planes,’ Being Developed by Disney Toon Studios, not Pixar (slashfilm.com)
- Disney Officially Announces PLANES, a Direct-to-DVD Spin-Off of Pixar’s CARS (collider.com)
- Pixar Changes Mind On CARS 2, Moving To PLANES? (geektyrant.com)
- Disney Animation Celebration: Ranking All The Films Best to Worst! (rottentomatoes.com)