Ever since I saw Captain America make an appearance in the Spider-Man animated series from the mid-1990s, I’ve been a fan of Cap. There’s something about this red-white-and-blue soldier out of time that gives him a compelling story whether you learn about him in World War II in his battles against the Red Skull, or when he’s a part of the modern Marvel Avengers squad fighting alongside Iron Man, The Hulk, Hawkeye, and the rest.
When I heard that they were working on a live-action movie for Cap, I was excited but not sure that actor Chris Evans could pull off the role. Evans, who played Johnny Storm, the Human Torch, in a couple of Fantastic Four movies always seemed to be more of a smartass than a true soldier. After seeing him in The Losers, I gained a little hope for Evans in the role of Steve Rogers, the man who would become the super soldier Captain America during World War II.
I can say the cast and crew actually did pull it off in Captain America: The First Avenger, though I think I enjoyed Thor from earlier in the summer more. But the use of the extended flashback to show Cap’s origins worked great and we were able to see Cap fight the good fight in WWII against the Red Skull (Hugo Weaving from The Matrix and Lord of the Rings).
They did an amazing job of making Evans look puny for the scenes prior to his character getting the super soldier serum and I think Evans remained in character and serious all the from beginning to the end. If I have a couple of complaints, it’s that the film was a little long (at 124 minutes) and the sequence where Cap was used to sell war bonds in America through stage shows and film clips dragged things out more than a little.
I’ll give the film a definite B+ and be picking it up on Blu-ray when it’s released in a few months.
- Who Should Lead The Avengers? Captain America vs. Iron Man vs. Thor (screenrant.com)
- ‘Captain America: The First Avenger’ Review (slashfilm.com)
- The Nacho Ladies Review – Captain America: The First Avenger (romickinoakley.wordpress.com)
- Must Watch! : Captain America : The First Avenger (adalinc.wordpress.com)
- Video Blog Reaction: ‘Captain America: The First Avenger’ (slashfilm.com)
- Chris Evans Talks ‘Captain America’ Costume in ‘The Avengers (screenrant.com)
- Captain America’s Top 5 Partners In Crime (geeksofdoom.com)
- Sound Off: Marvel’s ‘Captain America: The First Avenger’ – Thoughts? (firstshowing.net)
- Meet Captain America: 5 Exciting Clips From The First Avenger’s Movie Debut (filmschoolrejects.com)
- Captain America from A Butterfly Dreaming (abutterflydreaming.com)