I’ve never been a huge horror fan. Far too many of the horror films of the last 20 years have swayed to the slasher flick, with gratuitous sex and violence slammed together with buckets of gore. Though the “startle” on screen is a useful exercise (like jumping out at someone and saying “boo!”), it gets old after a while and I find myself rooting for the bad guy.
One recent exception to this trend was The Strangers back in 2008, which used subtlety and the real-life potential of crazy, homicidal people to great effect. I don’t typically get scared by films, but I have to say that one disturbed me more than a little.
When I was growing up, I loved the combination of imaginative effects and a solid story. Movies like Poltergeist (was it just me or was Tangina more than a little scary all by herself?), the original Amytiville Horror took the concept of a haunted house and made it such that to this day I’m not a fan of even local haunted houses on Halloween. I’ll admit it – I don’t mind being scared in my own home, but being scared in public just doesn’t do much for me.
Insidious looks like an interesting cross between the child in Poltergeist with the haunted house aspects of Amytville Horror. This one comes from the writer-director team behind the Saw series and the filmmakers behind Paranormal Activity. Evidently in this case, a family moves to get out of a haunted house only to find when they move to the next house that it wasn’t their house that was haunted…
- Watch: Chilling New Full-Length Trailer for James Wan’s ‘Insidious’ (firstshowing.net)
- Awesomely Creepy Trailer for James Wan’s INSIDIOUS (geektyrant.com)
- Creepy Teaser Trailer for James Wan’s INSIDIOUS (geektyrant.com)
- New Trailer for Insidious, Its Scary (screenhead.com)
- It’s Not the House That’s Haunted. It’s This ‘Insidious’ Trailer (filmschoolrejects.com)
- ‘Insidious’ Trailer – A New Horror Thrill Ride from the Makers of ‘Saw’ and ‘Paranormal Activity’ (slashfilm.com)
- Trailer for INSIDIOUS Starring Patrick Wilson and Rose Byrne (collider.com)
- Watch: First Creepy Teaser for James Wan’s New Horror ‘Insidious’ (firstshowing.net)
- ‘Insidious Trailer’ Raises Some Serious Goosebumps (screenrant.com)
- “James Wanâ€™s Insidious Trailer” and related posts (filmofilia.com)